Sunday, March 27, 2011

DIY - Photo Canvas

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you see, please take a second and vote for my blog to help keep it ranked. Just takes two clicks. Thanks!!

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

I found this pretty easy tutorial online here that taught me teh basics, then I kind of rolled with it. It actually was super easy and pretty fun too! And it didn't take very long either!  I am also very impressed with myself that I have officially completed one of my tasks that I set out to do. I got the canvases BOGO at Michael's, so 4 canvases for $8.99. The scrapbook pages were on sale 2/$1. I then blew up 4 8x10 pics of them at Walgreens for $11 (The tutorial said not to print them at home, but I probably could have anyways). Mod Podge, paper cutter, and thats it! Seeing as typical 8x10 photo canvases are $30-40 each, I think this was a marvelous idea! Oh how I *heart* projects!!

I first covered each canvas with Mod Podge. Then, I cut the strips of paper, and pasted them onto each side of the canvas. (cut the strips and the photos a teeny bit shorter - you want there to be white space)
  Then I turned each picture over, coated it with Mod Podge,and carefully applied it to each canvas and smoothed everything out very good. Then I applied Mod Podge to everything. (its white, but dries clear)




(dried)
Then I took a dry sponge and "sponged" paint onto the white areas of the canvas and along the sides of the picture to kind of "blend" it together so its looks like its not a DIY craft, lol. Its supposed to look antiquey and shabby chic. The tutorial used black - I used white, but you can use any color I'm sure.



Then let dry! All in all, it took about 2 hours to complete,and I couldn't be more happy with it. I also printed out their inital and framed it above the canvases.




Here is the finished project in their nursery! Fabu!




(showing the sides of the canvas)

12 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! May have to give it a try myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'll have to do these when we move back and I can actually put holes in the walls, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Mandy, those are awesome!! You've made me want to try and do one now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun and fab! You have such beautiful subjects!!! :)Inspiration is running through my veins right now.....along with every other nesting and project completion that seems to hit at the last minute for me! hmmm..can I make it happen? Maybe I will table this for week after next since I will be birthing my child Friday. hehe! Love ya, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness those look so great! :) LOVE the new blog look too! super cute!! Did you use matte or glossy finish at first for the 8x10?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! i am so going to try this. thanks for post!

    ramona
    http://bubbiandboo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Creative, i wish i had time!
    I'm your latest follower from MBC!
    •.¸¸.♥♥ ஐ
    pls.. come return the LUV and FOLLOW ME also if you aren't yet!.
    www.thedarediva.com
    Thanks and much LUV
    www.thedarediva.com ¯`•.¸¸.♥♥ ஐ

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this idea! I'll have to give it a go when I finally get my other things done on the ever-growing to-do list! You're so darn creative, yet the ideas you choose are easy enough for the non-creative to do. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lOve them!! so pretty. I"m your newest follower and would love to see you following back at http://imamomnotaprofessional.blogspot.com/2011/10/melted-witch-cookies.html
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look wonderful. What adorable children!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos are striking and they look wonderful! The most amazing part is that you got them done with babies!

    ReplyDelete