Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How Daniel Tiger is Helping me Parent

Okay, I'll admit it. Daniel Tiger is helping me parent my children. Seriously. It's embarrassing to admit, but it's true.

They actually don't watch the show, but they are OBSESSED with the little segment videos on the PBSkids app. And I gotta admit, I love it.

Let's start with the obvious. It's a complete knock-off/recreation of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, but it's so much better. Each episode consists of two 11 minute segments (or shorter with the app) that centers around exactly things that go on in a four-year-old's life: disappointment, anger, sadness, thankful, etc. The genius thing is that is uses a musical motif phrase to reinforce the theme. And my kids REMEMBER it and use it in their day-to-day things that happen. They really do!!

For example When you do something new (and my kids totally sing this when we are doing something new, so it reminds me that we need to talk about it first)




When they get super frustrated about things and pout (Josh and Jules actually sing this to each other lol!)





When something bad happens, why turn it around and find something good!!



Hey - need help with Potty Training? Daniel need help too!



Again, any time they are proud of themselves they'll sing this. Yesterday, Josh called down to us from his room because he was super proud that he found his Pjs himself, and though he was going to need help putting them on. Then he ran downstairs saying, "Mommy!! I did it all by myself! I tried and tried, and I did it! Keep trying - you'll get bbeeeeetttttteer!!"

  And one more. They literally sing this every time they clean up. I thought for a while that it was a song from school. I should have known better - why Daniel Tiger of course!!



I really don't have a problem with it at all. Its so funny. And it SOOOOO easy for kids to remember little short songs to help them remember things. 


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

0 comments:

Post a Comment