Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Over-Scheduled 3-Year-Old

Let's chat for a minute, mkay? Sometimes it really drives me crazy how society is nowadays. And let's be honest...I am a crazy one and probably most moms out there are too.

I have two three year olds. We haven't really gotten them involved in many extra-curricular activities. They take a short gymnastics class through their school on Thursday mornings. We went to Mommy and Me classes at Gymboree when they were little. But that has been the extent of it.

So, when they turned three, I decided to maybe start getting them more involved in some things. Things, plural? At three? Surely I jest! After all, we live in Brentwood, TN. The abundance of activities available for a three year old would probably make your head spin. There is, of course, gymnastics. Then there is soccer, dance, basketball, baseball, hockey, karate, spanish, and swimming. Is your head already starting to spin around? Yeah, mine too.

We decided to keep them in gymnastics at school and then put Josh in baseball and possibly do dance or something with Jules. We haven 't done that yet, but Josh is in week 4 of baseball.

The baseball around here is Lil' Sluggers. It's not actually baseball, but a little group of boys and they teach them the basics: throwing, hitting, running bases, sliding, etc.

Josh is...how do I put it...not good. His attention span is that of a over-energetic gnat. He follows direction for a little while, then is in his own little world. But I of course think he is doing great for 3, because he's ummm three!! Which, is pretty typical of 3?? yes? no? He does good, mind you, and I do think he is learning to throw and hit, but...here's the thing. He's the worst on his team because he's the least experienced.- ahem...least experienced. AT THREE. Who knew I had to worry about enrolling him AT TWO so he could catch up to these kids??? And this is when I want to just throw my hands up in the air and throw a fit. When did it become the society where we already are instilling skills to make them so competitive at TWO. Why is my son behind at THREE? Aren't three year old just supposed to run around in the backyard and pick up sticks and stuff? I saw another mom I know at the last lesson and I was talking to her about her son, who is 3.5 and he got moved to the next higher class because he was so advanced. This was his 4th cycle of lessons. And he plays hockey. I love that her son is so talented, but poor Josh, lol. **beats my head against the wall**

It's all very, very frustrating. And here I am right in the middle of it, which just makes me depressed. And what if I pull him out? Then will he be even more behind? The main reason I put him in this class to begin with is so that he could do something alone, without Jules. She is the dominant, social twin. However, without her, he is shy and had a hard time making friends. So, I guess its good for him, right? Oh, yeah, and we also started swim lessons. So, yeah, thats three things. Not proud of it. *hangs head in disgust*

So, tell me moms. What say you? Do you guys already have your wee toddlers already over-scheduled? Please don't tell me I'm alone here.I don't want to be that mom. I really don't. But I may not have a choice.

Thats him in the Yankees hat :)


Poor little guy :(


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

6 comments:

  1. Josh sounds exactly like a normal 3 year old boy! Eirik is the EXACT same way. We haven't enrolled him yet in any formal activities because I know how it would go. 5 minutes of listening followed by him melting down because he couldn't run around and play. I joke all the time he'd love gymnastics but i just can't imagine him actually doing what he's supposed to yet! I say let him be 3, let him run around the backyard or the playground, and ignore the other parents who try to tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Emma

    Thats the things, Emma. Its not other moms! Its ME feeling like I need him to be as involved as other kids. Crazy!! Why cant they just chill until kindergarten like in olden days lol?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, stopping by from the Blog Hop! Just wanted to let you know I am now following you via GFC! I hope you'll get the chance to visit me :o) You can find me here:

    Blog url
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's crazy that people start wanting kids to be "competitive" with developed skills so darn early! Our DD is in soccer at school but no other organized activities. I want to do swim classes next fall (she'll be a little over 3) because we have a hot tub and I think she needs some skills to be safer around it. Then maybe dance when she's 4 or 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found your blog through your dad. I'm the mom of a three year old boy, but I'm also 43 years old, so I'm not about to jump on the 'my kid is going to get a scholorship to Vandy because he's kicking butt in baseball' bandwagon. First, most of these parents are just trying to live out some kind of crazy fantasy through their kids. It's also more of a parental competition than a kid one. How many times do you see a kid crying because they don't want to be there, pretty darn often. And how many times do you see a parent talking down to their child for not doing their best? We did a Little Gym class for a little while and when he showed no more interest we went on our way. Kids are going to have enough pressure when they start school. I'm going to let mine be a kid while he can...

    P.S. I also have a 15 year old daughter. Trust me, you are going to have worse battles to fight coming up!! Take for instance, the other day when she came home and told me one of the girls at school (who drove a 3 series BMW) came home from a weekend trip and her parents had bought her a new Range Rover. I told her NOT to be expecting that from us!! WHY do parents do this?!?!?!?!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had that experience with a different baseball program. We showed up to play what I thought was tee-ball and instead there was a coach pitching fast balls to the kids (who were hitting pop flies already). We hadn't even taught C what bases were. We were in over our heads, we thought we signed him up to learn how to play but we were supposed to show up knowing that already (oops!). We didn't go back and never said another word about it;) No biggie.
    We'll get there, but I don't stress about competition, I just want them to learn and have fun.
    And yes, 3 year olds are supposed to run around the yard and pick up sticks;) So don't feel like he's behind; he's a doll, he's healthy and smart, and has a great mama who loves him. The rest will fall into place. No need to stress:)
    Sorry to write a book. I am quite opinionated about overscheduling, ha!!!

    ReplyDelete