Saturday, July 23, 2011

Flashback Friday - Country Music Marathon

The first time I have ever ran in a half-marathon will always hold a special place in my heart. You see, I was having a hard time trying to get pregnant. Almost 2.5 years to be exact. I am a planner. I got married at 24 years old, quite young at the time. I also wanted to be married for a while, get pregnant at 28, and have another kids at 30-31. It seemed so easy to plan it all out like that. However, God and fate always have other plans for you, huh?

So, I hit the big 3-0. No baby, no nothing. I had a REALLY, REALLY hard time with 30. I felt like, because I wasn't a mother yet, and certainly was no closer to becoming, with multiple failed IUIs, tests, etc, etc, etc. I was depressed. So, what did I do? I felt like I had to do SOMETHING meaningful with my life after 30. So, on a whim, and not telling a soul, I signed up for the Country Music Half-Marathon here in Nashville. I most I have even ran at one time was a 5k, and that was HARD. But, I signed up, trained and trained and trained, by myself. I told my husband, and eventually my friends, but I wanted to make sure I could do it before I told anyone. I was pretty nervous and excited about accomplishing something so awesome.

I begged Jake to do it with me, but he wouldn't sign up***

On race day, my mom and sister came up to cheer me on. The Country Music Marathon is an awesome event taking up all of downtown Nashville with thousands upon thousands that run, and come watch. People tailgate, hand out water, and bands are playing at every quarter mile.

So, there. I did it. I ran and ran and completed at 2:41, which I am very proud of. I did something meaningful, and awesome - for myself, and proved that my stupid infertile body could do SOMETHING, if not produce babies. And what do you know? The marathon was in April 2009, and I found out I was pregnant in May 2009. Coincidence? Who knows?

***Jake ended up running, the stinker. He signed up the DAY BEFORE the race and just showed up and ran. No training. And ran much faster than me at 2:14. However, he was sore for two weeks after, where I was not. So, Ha. Ha. Ha. Thats what you get, Bubba.


Moi, running. Look and my Mommy holding up my sweet sign in the top left. Love her.

Another pic of the signs she made.


There's Jake. I bet he is real tired.

Post race!!

With our signs, made by Mom and Ginny.

With our Medals! HeHe!!




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

0 comments:

Post a Comment