Friday, September 30, 2011

Flashback Friday - Musical Theater Junkie

Last night was was the kickoff of TPAC's Broadway series of shows. (Tennessee Performance Arts Center)
I have been a season ticket holder for a few years now (except for last year, because I wasn't crazy about the shows, and had new babies too).

I am a self proclaimed musical theater junkie. It started early. My mother is also a musical theater junkie, and she rubbed off on me and my two sisters. I was immersed in theater classes as a child, voice lessons, member of show choirs and choruses. Yes, we were that family. But I know have a love and appreciation for all things theater that I do hope to pass on to my children.

My first time to New York City was my sophomore year of high school. I went with my high school chorus. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity because we performed on stage at Carnegie Hall. Seriously! How many people get to say that once? And I get to say it twice, because I did it again my senior year. We were a part of a very select few of high schools invited to do this, and what an honor it was. I believe my first musical I saw in New York on Broadway was Tommy. Yeah, not a great one to say. But the next one was Phantom of the Opera (that one is much better) Since then I have been to New York many, many times. And every time we go we try and squeeze in as many Broadway shows as we can. I love it. It is my absolute favorite city and favorite thing to do. There is just something bout live theater that touches your soul. a

So in honor of TPAC's season starting, I am going to start a running list of  shows I have seen and keep it up each time I see a new one! (ones that are starred and those that I have seen multiple, multiple times and will see any time they are anywhere near me. They are faves), Hmmm, there are probably some I am forgetting after making this list, but I'll try and think of more.

42nd Street
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Addams Family
Annie Get Your Gun
Avenue Q
Bat Boy: The Musical
Beauty and the Beast
Book of Mormon
Carousel (never seen live, just the movie 1000 times - love the music)
Cats
Chicago
A Chorus Line
The Color Purple
Company
Dear Evan Hansen
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Full Monty
Godspell
Guys and Dolls
Grease
Gypsy
Hairspray
Hamilton*
Happy Days
Jersey Boys*
The King and I (never seen live, just the movie 1000 times - love the music)
Kiss Me Kate
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Legally Blonde
Les Misérables*
Lil' Abner
Lion King*
Little Shop of Horrors
Mamma Mia
Mary Poppins
Memphis
Mean Girls
Miss Saigon
Movin' Out
Nine
Oklahoma
Once, On This Island
The Pajama Game
Peter Pan
Phantom of the Opera*
The Producers
Rent*
Rock of Ages
Sound of Music
South Pacific
Spamalot
Spring Awakening
Stayin' Alive
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Tommy
Tootsie
Waitress
West Side Story
Wicked*
The Wizard of Oz
Young Frankenstein
2007

2007


2008

2008

2009




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs






1 comments:

  1. You are clearly a musical theater junkie! Just look at the long list of the musical you’d seen. It is good that your family like musical so much, it can be a good family bonding. And it can be a hobby for your kids to make them physically and mentally active.

    ReplyDelete