Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pinterest Fail.

I have a serious Love/Hate relationship with Pinterest. And I will now tell you why. I have had Pinterest for a very long time. (@apstribling) Before loads of people out there. Meaning, I have collected lots and lots of pins. But I haven't been on it for a while now. I love it for ideas, though.

Specifically, I have been looking for a new centerpiece for my dining room table. Pinterest is great for that! Or, like right now I am looking for ideas on making Josh and Jules their own personalized Easter basket. Again - great for that! And since we have been looking for a new house for what seems like 15 years, lol I am constantly repinning kitchens and decorating ideas.

However, all these toddler crafts and toddler idea pins are for the birds. They look really awesome and so I re-pin them, but then I totally get let down. For example - one that I repinned was called "50 activites to do with your toddler" - awesome, right? So, once I went back and looked at it, they were the dumbest activities! One was "read a book", another was "color", and yet another was "go for a walk". Really, people? If I am that bad of a mother where I couldn't recognize these activities for myself I would be in dire straits. Some of the ideas are ok, I suppose, but honestly, most things I have repinned are mommy blogger posts that I really should have never repinned int he first place, so now I have to go through and see which ones I want to keep and which ones to delete. Which is a pain when you have tons of pins.

Most people say that Pinterest is a crafty's artists paradise. I guess, if that is what you use it for. I use it mostly for fashion ideas, recipes, photography, and decorating, so I disagree with that. Plus, most people can't do all those things anyway. (not even going to put the whole crafty handprint ornament debacle on here)

So, here is my Pinterest fail this week. I saw SO many pins about DIY toddler finger-painting! It was described as "no mess!" "re-usable!" "non-toxic!" "keeps them entertained!" (this was the selling point for me!)

There are lots of recipes out there. I mixed hair conditioner and food coloring. You can use lots of different thing. I put different colors in ziploc bags and taped them down to my kitchen table. Then I encouraged my artistic toddlers to get in the chair and finger paint until their hearts were content.

Time used to put together super-easy-crafty-Pinterest-art-project: 20 minutes
Time toddlers were engaged: 2 minutes.

Pinterest Fail.




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

5 comments:

  1. pinterest fail, but not your child

    they're healthy and lovely :)

    Pinterest is a great way to socialized with everyone :)
    I love Pinterest's unique interface :)

    Just in case you haven't heard. There's also another site developed for Pinterest user to submit their favorite pins, discuss and do social voting as well. You might want to check it out.
    www.pinfaves.com

    don't forget to vote, there's a $15 Amazon Card weekly for the most votes :D
    if you are not sure about it, you can visit http://blog.pinfaves.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think I was going to try that with Eirik at some point! I have a feeling i'd probably get 2 minutes before he gave up and moved on too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just saved me 20 minutes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha. randomly came across your blog... pinterest fail. lol

    ive made a few things inspired by pinterest. some fail some awesome.

    this is funny! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad my toddler wasn't the only one completely disinterested in this! Sucks for us Mamas though! xxx

    ReplyDelete