Thursday, June 30, 2011

On the hunt

I am officially in the market for a new car. A BIGGER car. Right now I am driving a Nissan Altima. It really has been a great car for me. Its roomy enough, pretty, black, good mileage, etc. However, now it feels like this:




I have come to the conclusion that you can't have a regular old car when hauling around toddler twins. And this is in addition to my job, which in fundraising and sales. So, let's add a quite few boxes of stuff in the trunk. So, then add two toddlers, two gigantic car seats, a big diaper bag, stroller, work stuff, and  I am lucky I can get in the car.

This leads me to the fact that I simply MUST have more room. However, it also must get really good mileage (I put 30000-40000 a year on my car with work traveling). I also don't want to spend a ton of money, because I do put so many miles on it that it doesn't help the resale value at all.

Here is what I am considering so far. I really like the mini-SUVs or crossovers. They are much more roomy (not SUV roomy, but WAY better than my Altima), and get decent mileage. If you have any comments or own one, let me know! Or, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

The Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass

Probably my least favorite as far as looks go - but the mileage is superb, and the price is decent


The Honda CRV

Of course, this one is probably my best bet. Good mileage, pretty, great reviews. But pretty pricey, I know, and I do adore Hondas.




Ford Escape

I keep coming back to this one. It just seems like a good average car. Good mileage, looks ok, and the price is ok. Everything is just OK with this car.




Hmmm, so I guess I am officially looking. And honestly, this sucks.


Ya know what else sucks? Not being at the top of this list! PLEASE vote! It just takes 2 clicks!!
Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

4 comments:

  1. You never mentioned any minivans. I assume you are against them? They get better gas mileage than an SUV, and have much more room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We traded our Ford Escape for a Ford Edge. I LOVE it! It does pretty well on gas, is WAY more comfortable than the escape and has great space. The escape rode more like a truck. Stiffer seats, not as roomy, etc. We bought ours in August last year and it was a perfect time to buy because they needed to get rid of the previous year models. Probably a great time to buy. Good luck! Its amazing how everything feels smaller with kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! @Lauren - yes, I have, and woudl love a minivan. But, the gas isn't great comparitively. My Altima gets 28MPG, the CRV, Escape gets around 21-24, and both the Jeeps get between 25-28, which is realy good for SUVs.

    The minivans I have looked at get around 19, so its a possibility, but not right now with my job. (However, I adore minivans)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my Hyundai Santa Fe! I highly recommend it. I bought the GLS/ 4 cyl version so I was able to keep the price to around $22,00 (I bought new). My overall MPG is 23 as I do a good balance of in city and highway driving. But if you mostly drive highway, you can get 28/29 MPG.

    Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester and Nissan Rogue are all good options.

    I would not recommend Jeep. I don't think they fair as well in reliability.

    I did all my research on Consumer Reports before I ever test drove.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete